If you’re vegan, but looking for some cheesy goodness in your life regardless, then this vegan cheesy pasta is a recipe you’ll learn to treasure having in your cookbook. My youngest sister shared this one with me and it’s a delicious vegan alternative to traditional macaroni & cheese that even non-vegans like myself will thoroughly enjoy! No cows were milked for this vegan version of macaroni & cheese, so it would be Happy Cow approved!
The recipe as posted serves 2-3 people (or one very hungry vegan)
Ingredients for vegan mac n cheese
- 250g of your choice of uncooked pasta
- 5 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 150g of closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 50g of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 100g of margarine
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 500ml of soy milk or other plant based milk
- 200ml of water
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of powdered vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Salt and pepper
Cooking instructions for vegan cheesy pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions given on the bag or box.
- Meanwhile heat the margarine and the garlic in a sauce pan. Once all the margarine has been melted remove the pot from the heat and add the flour, whisking it in.
- Add the soy milk and water to the margarine and flour mixture, again whisking it in.
- Return the sauce pan to the heat. Remain at a medium heat.
- Stir in the maple syrup, vegetable stock, chili powder, basil and tomato paste to the sauce.
- Add the scallions, mushrooms and spinach to the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the yeast flakes. Then stir in the lime juice.
- Drain the pasta and, once the mushrooms have softened, add the pasta to the sauce. Stir in until all the pasta is covered.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious vegan version of macaroni & cheese.